Kolasib College was established by a meeting of important local leaders on the 10th October 1977. Governing Body of the college was constituted on 13th January 1978 and Kolasib College was formally established on 19th July 1978. The first batch of Pre-University candidates appeared Pre-University Course examinations under North-Eastern Hill University (N.E.H.U.) in 1979. Degree classes were started in 1981, and the first batch of students was sent to the Degree examinations in 1983.
At the beginning the College had no building of its own. The first building of the college was occupied on 16th January 1983 at its present location.
After affiliation to North Eastern Hill University up to Pre-University level in 1979, the College was given recognition by the State Government. Affiliation by the University upto Degree level was accorded to the College in 1982. In 1985, Kolasib College was accorded deficit status. Pre-University Science classes were started at the College in 1987, and were upgraded to Degree level in 1992, for which affiliation to the University was gained in 1994. Kolasib College was taken over by the State Government under Provincialization Rules from 31st January 1992, and then came to be known as Government Kolasib College. The College is presently affiliated to Mizoram University since the establishment of the latter in 2000.
The College is also included under 2(f) and 12-B of the U.G.C. Act, 1956.